AGAINST THE CURRENT PT 5: FEAR
The world’s culture always has a current that tries to drag you into the opposite direction. Before anyone becomes a victim of the world’s current, we need to understand that we are called to overcome it!
Series Key Scripture:
2 Samuel 22:1-7 NLT
David sang this song to the LORD on the day the LORD rescued him from all his enemies and from Saul. He sang:
“The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. He is my refuge, my savior, the one who saves me from violence. I called on the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and he saved me from my enemies. “The waves of death overwhelmed me; floods of destruction swept over me. The grave wrapped its ropes around me; death laid a trap in my path. But in my distress I cried out to the LORD; yes, I cried to my God for help. He heard me from his sanctuary; my cry reached his ears.
Ephesians 2:1-6 ESV
And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
Today’s Key Scriptures:
Luke 22:39-44 Passion
Jesus left the upper room with his disciples and, as was his habit, went to the Mount of Olives, his place of secret prayer. There he told the apostles, “Keep praying for strength to be spared from the severe test of your faith that is about to come.” Then he withdrew from them a short distance to be alone. Kneeling down, he prayed, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup of agony away from me. But no matter what, your will must be mine.” Jesus called for an angel of glory to strengthen him, and the angel appeared. He prayed even more passionately, like one being sacrificed, until he was in such intense agony of spirit that his sweat became drops of blood, dripping onto the ground.
Agony = extreme and generally prolonged pain; intense physical or mental suffering; the struggle preceding natural death: mortal agony; a violent struggle.
Agony in Greek = ἀγωνία agonía = a struggle; anguish; great fear, great affliction.
Three Points About Jesus Experiencing Fear:
#1) JESUS UNDERSTANDS
Hebrew 4:15-16 Passion
He understands humanity, for as a Man, our magnificent King-Priest was tempted in every way just as we are, and conquered sin. So now we come freely and boldly to where love is enthroned, to receive mercy’s kiss and discover the grace we urgently need to strengthen us in our time of weakness.
- Satan puts fear in our life so we don’t fulfill God’s will.
- Every time you make a decision based on fear, it will never be conformed to His will.
Matthew 11:29 Passion
Simply join your life with mine. Learn my ways and you’ll discover that I’m gentle, humble, easy to please. You will find refreshment and rest in me.
#2) JESUS KNEW
- We fear what we do not know… what will happen tomorrow, with our finances, our work, our children, our health.
- Fear can easily grow in the uncertainty.
Matthew 6:34 Message
"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.
#3) JESUS CONFRONTED
- Fear is not something, it is someone!
That finished the devil’s harassment for the time being. So he stood off at a distance, retreating until the time came to return and tempt Jesus again. (Passion)
The devil had no more temptations to offer that day, so he left Jesus, preparing to return at some other opportune time. (Voice)
2 Timothy 1:7 Passion
For God will never give you the spirit of fear, but the Holy Spirit who gives you mighty power, love, and self-control.
- The devil wants to influence our thoughts with fear to control our lives.
Hebrews 2:14-15 Passion
Since all his “children” have flesh and blood, so Jesus became human to fully identify with us. He did this, so that he could experience death and annihilate the effects of the intimidating accuser who holds against us the power of death. By embracing death Jesus sets free those who live their entire lives in bondage to the tormenting dread of death.
- Fear is a prophetic spirit of hell to give us a negative view of our future and to cause us to make decisions out of fear, which God will not honor.
- Faith comes from the spirit of God to give us a positive view of our future to cause us to make decisions by faith, which God will honor.
- Faith gives you courage. Fear gives you cowardliness.
- Good fear is circumstantial. Bad fear is perpetual.
- Good fear is protective. Bad fear is paralyzing.
- Good fear is constructive. Bad fear is destructive.
- Good fear is empowering. Bad fear is enslaving.
- Fear is waiting for the devil to move. Faith is waiting for God to move.
Isaiah 48:22 Voice
Ah, but the malicious and wicked will never be at peace.
- You know the presence of God because of peace. You know the presence of the devil because of fear.
- Jesus reigns with peace. The devil reigns with fear.
- How can you overcome fear? Same as Jesus.
#1) Admit Your Fear
#2) Submit Your Fear
- To be a mature Christian we have to act above our emotions.
- The worst time to make decisions is when you feel fear.
- That's when you need others to give you advice, to help make decisions for you.
#3) Focus On His Presence & His Love
- The enemy will always put giants where God has given you promises.
Numbers 13:30 Voice
But Caleb calmed the congregation, and he spoke to Moses.
Caleb: “We should go straight in, right away, and take it over. We are surely able!”
- If God has given you promises, then the giants that the enemy has placed in your life God already has declared dead!
Psalm 23:4 Passion
Lord, even when your path takes me through the valley of deepest darkness, fear will never conquer me, for you already have! You remain close to me and lead me through it all the way. Your authority is my strength and my peace. The comfort of your love takes away my fear. I’ll never be lonely, for you are near.
Psalm 16:8-11 Passion
Because you are close to me and always available, my confidence will never be shaken, for I experience your wrap-around presence every moment. My heart and soul explode with joy—full of glory! Even my body will rest confident and secure. For you will not abandon me to the realm of death, nor will you allow your Holy One to experience corruption. For you bring me a continual revelation of resurrection life, the path to the bliss that brings me face-to-face with you.
- Fear is reality without God. Faith is reality with God.
Hebrews 1:14 Passion
What role then, do the angels have? The angels are spirit-messengers sent by God to serve those who are going to be saved.
- Do not accept fear into your life. Fear comes from the devil. Put your eyes towards the Father of peace.
JESUS UNDERSTANDS YOUR WORRIES
JESUS KNOWS WHAT IT IS TO FEAR
JESUS CONFRONTED FEAR SO YOU CAN HAVE THE VICTORY
- We don’t need to fear but have faith in Him.