We have been given all authority. But, for what? To influence this fallen world. We have a mission! Jesus gave us a mission. It is to Faithfully Follow Him!
Key Scripture: Matthew 28:18-20 Passion
Then Jesus came close to them and said, “All the authority of the universe has been given to me. Now go in my authority and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. And teach them to faithfully follow all that I have commanded you. And never forget that I am with you every day, even to the completion of this age.”
- The world is influencing the church rather than the church influencing the world.
- Church = Ekklesia = legislative assembly = law giving = establish laws
Matthew 16:17-19 | 1 Corinthians 3:9 | Philippians 2:12 | Hebrews 2:1-3 | Matthew 28:18-20
God has given his faithful followers all of the authority to do these 3 main things:
#1) GO AND MAKE DISCIPLES
Luke 14:23 | Luke 4:16-21
- “hope for the poor/preach the gospel to the poor”
- “God’s great acceptance has begun/Proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord”
- “The spirit of the Lord is upon me”
- “He has anointed me”
- “new eyes for the blind/Recovery of sight of the blind”
- “Freedom for the brokenhearted/Proclaim liberty to the captives”
- “Preach to the prisoners, ‘You are set free!’/Heal the brokenhearted”
- “Set at liberty those who are oppressed”
#2) SEAL THEIR COMMITMENT (“Baptizing them...”)
1 John 5:7-8 | Acts 8:14-16 | Acts 19:1-6
- If you try to live a Christian life— aka a disciple— in your own strength... you will fail! You must seal it with the Holy Spirit!
3 Types Of Baptisms:
- Baptism of the Son— Blood/Body of Christ (Salvation). The blood introduces us to His Kingdom.
- Baptism of Father— Water (Purification). The water continually purifies us.
- Baptism of the Holy Spirit— Spirit. The Spirit give us the power and authority to live the abundant Christian life!
#3) TEACH FAITHFULNESS
Proverbs 3:3 | 1 Timothy 1:19 | 1 Peter 5:10 | Romans 12:2 | Deuteronomy 31:6 | Philippians 4:13 | Proverbs 21:31 | Acts 20:28
What is faithfulness?
Definition (Merriam Webster Dict.) = loyal, steadfast in affection or allegiance.
- Faithfulness = Trust
- To be faithful is to be trustworthy.
- To teach faithfulness is to teach to trust God.
- Faith is to trust God. Fear is to trust the enemy.
- True Faith is Knowing His Word, Believing His Word, Obeying His Word.
Why is faith/trust in God so important?
- Being faithful to God will allow us to maintain course, direction, and His grace in us. Being faithful to God will allow to make it through anything!
- Our heart for the church family is to go through this process...
- To be Transformed
- To be Supported
- To be Strengthened
- To be Grounded
- Resilient = able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
- God is calling us to Faithfully Follow!
- We have much work to do as a church!
- We must go and make disciples! Edify one another!
- We must help seal their commitments! Mature as disciples!
- We must teach one another how to trust God and the people He has placed around us.
“The true, living faith, which the Holy Spirit instills into the heart, simply cannot be idle.”— Martin Luther.
- It’s time to go and be the hands and feet of Jesus Christ, Yeshua Hamashiach!